May 3, 2022

Poems by Stephen Nelson

WEEDS


earth,

the essential nature of sensation in the spine smoking weed, 

she said, in deference to his mother's rhododendrons.

plants derive ethereal

connection from the water my daughter bathes in;

the ego, the obligatory game show host's recreational golf game,

goofball golf game, ball of my balls golf game,

the blazing end of the 18 holes and too much air sucking 

every conceivable innuendo from the preparory school's

philosophically inspired repertoire.

my lunch money for thick, white custard

every single tuesday.


oh fire,

she said, at the hot end of the furniture store,

in between lunch and oxygenated water retention;

I bought a bulb for my salt lamp and saw the river and floated a barque and cried in the dark, 

in the corner of the hut, where they kept the dead bodies 

saline fresh saline fresh

where they kept the dead bodies saline fresh.

we wandered along the colonnade, my roman sorceress and I,

and I was rejuvenated and equipped with an incalculable self worth,

when the emperor declared 

the minimum wage for oligarchs would be...

yes, and I went there, she said, sucking off a centurion behind the colosseum.


wind!

well blow me, she said, extracting an oven mitt from her remarkably earnest vagina;

hot, baked scones and strawberry jam with clotted cream and tea.

debris falls from the sky this morning, is swept across fields and the housing estates

where I played as a boy, so fullsome, wholesome, loathsome 

in my innocence; 

reneging my spiritual inheritance for a pound of nepalese hashish, 

like merlin on a moped in america.

wheretofore now, young hip, hop, hippie, hoppy, hypnotised 

horses in the lowering sky, the inconsolable sky, where the wind rushes up 

my back alley with a ferocity borne of misappropriation.

wrap up! she said, too many children lost in the cracks.



PUPS


blue merle on the mountain like the shadow of lenticular clouds

cloying marzipan from your primary caregiver's melodrama.

announcing a leopard in the laundromat, at once elegant and saturnine,

for the amusement of melancholy children

slouching mawkishly from the gene pool. 

we had no precedent other than an implanted precognition.

I was precocious, I was strange, I was never going to change,

so we sat in the bar and you scoffed at my bilious vaudeville necktie,

the way I fondled it conspiratorially.

I had the fragrance of an orange.

there was a dwarf star in the hanging basket you stole

from the presbyterian greengrocer,

but we could never have known he had cancer.


jesus fed me. no, wait...

mother fed me, jesus bled me, the devil red me...

or blue me, I can't remember which.

I was working in a working man's club in the 1970s,

somewhere near darlington, when he came up

and called me darling, and I buckled at the knee

and reflected seraphic glory

all over his sweetheart stout.

the brindled hounds are baying 

while I perform standup in the bathtub.


blue merle, blue merle, the moon is shining like a pearl 

brought back from the refrigerator on a plum coloured evening;

and the mountain holds a space in the crook of its neck

for broken hearted babies and a gaggle of laundered priests.


Poem by Keith Nunes

THE FLOURISH AND THE FALL Lying down to Take it front-on Look-see What the hell is Coming this way, Catch a sharded reflection In the corner...