Aug 3, 2022

Poems by James Matthew McNabney

SLEEPING BEAR

I drive throughout your countryside and see
the deep dark forest with the trees that sing
their music through the streams and air to me
and all the other mammals, fish, and beings

who feel delight and share in all your beauty.
Who can deny such elegance and charm?
Demand I for each soul to give all fealty
and pledge to fight all enemies that harm

divine manifestation of the pure
which also shows through hills and dunes of sand!
I loved you so and felt an urge so sure
to offer you forever my poor hand.

But you could see my soul was weak and bare
and dreams are all I have of Sleeping Bear.


OCEANS AWAY

Woosh-woosh spray, woosh-woosh spray,
the waves sing their music to me.
In this moment that feels so wild and free,
I must leave this song for another day
when I return from my retreat. 

Kiss me quickly, she will say,
You cannot leave without your fee,
A message from the sea:
I’ll sing you this song every way
so you return for that kiss so sweet. 

Your sands I walked, cherished, loved
Til’ I no longer could. A sand castle, my heart,
if protected would solidly remain.
But strong waves have shoved
The sand crystals of my castle, falling apart
From you, an ocean I will not meet again.

Poem by Keith Nunes

THE FLOURISH AND THE FALL Lying down to Take it front-on Look-see What the hell is Coming this way, Catch a sharded reflection In the corner...