RESENTMENT
I don't remember
when I became angry.
That's the problem.
There was no morning
when I woke up
and decided
to hate the world a little.
It happened quietly.
A little from my father.
A little from being poor.
A little from watching people
have things
I was taught not to ask for.
A little from every time
I swallowed something
because men like us
were supposed to handle it.
Years passed.
I called it ambition.
I called it strength.
I called it not giving a fuck.
Anything
but resentment.
Now I'm thirty-two,
and sometimes
someone who has done nothing wrong
says the wrong thing,
and I can feel twenty years
answering them.
That's when I understand—resentment doesn't always remember
who hurt you.
It just remembers
that somebody did.
BECOME A POET
I would never tell anyone
to become a poet.
There are easier ways
to hurt yourself.
I know.
I spend my days carrying bricks,
grinding old walls,
pushing my hands into wet cement
until the skin around my fingers
splits open.
By evening,
my shoulders ache.
My palms sting under hot water.
There is dust in places
dust has no business being.
But at least the body
knows what to do with pain.
It heals.
A cut closes.
A bruise changes colour.
The back forgives you eventually.
Then I come home
and open a notebook.
And suddenly I am twenty again.
Or eight.
Or standing in some kitchen
with someone who no longer loves me.
That's the cruelty of writing.
You spend all day
repairing broken things,
then come home,
sit beneath a quiet lamp,
and carefully
break yourself open
to see what can still be used.
BIRTHDAY
Today is my birthday.
No party.
No gatherings
No cake.
No candles.
And my phone has been quiet.
Two phone calls.
Five messages.
That’s it.
Fifteen years ago,
there would’ve been hundreds.
People I barely spoke to
would write on my wall,
send stupid messages,
call me,
remember me for one day.
Now I look at my phone
and nothing lights up.
Maybe that’s what getting older is.
Not wrinkles.
Not grey hair.
Just watching the list
of people who remember you
get shorter every year.
Or maybe I’m not being forgotten.
Maybe everyone is just
getting busy
being forgotten too.
This blog is the successor to the poetry section of the now no longer existing The Argotist Online. Send submissions to argotistonline@gmail.com. Due to the large number of submissions, only those accepted can be replied to.
Poems by Richard Dulgheriu
RESENTMENT I don't remember when I became angry. That's the problem. There was no morning when I woke up and decided to hate the wor...
-
THE STUDIO The vista which then opened was one I never could’ve anticipated in the Nineties—the PAFA campus was set as a series of jeweled b...
-
FROM JAZZ FINGERINGS #7 Music thread-side marvels way into the practice room of the mind where syllables collide with desire a pearl apart ...
-
Novel Lines 101: 101 alphabetical poems, each riffing on the opening line of a postmodern novel or metafiction. Antonio Lobo Antunes, Act o...